When it comes to beauty and skincare trends, Korea is definitely up there along with the pioneers. No longer just a bit-player in the scene, Korea has broken the box and has been consistently and persistently changing the landscape of what we consider beautiful by trailblazing its trends. And, yes, we love every bit of it. From dewy skin to straight brows to over-sized contact lenses, we just can’t get enough of what Korea has in store for us.
One of these trends, however, has recently caught our eye, aside from the trendy cosmetics for K-Beauty users. It’s fresh, it’s cute, and it’s worth a try. Of course, we’re talking about the Korean Gradient Lip Trend. Also known as cherry lips this trend is now making its way to the Western Hemisphere through the massive influence of Korean stars and idols.
In Korea, though, the gradient lip style is not much of a trend but more of a staple nowadays. First popularized by their internet celebrities, this style is also often paired up with large contact lenses for an overall look that is vibrant, cute, and youthful.
For our tutorial, we’re going to help you recreate the Korean gradient lip style. As in many things in beauty, there really is no one way of doing a particular style. So we’ve compiled three ways for you to achieve this look! Try one or try them all to see what method works best for you.
TECHNIQUE NO. 1: Just lipstick
Difficulty Level: Easy
If you’re new to this trend and would just like to try it out, then this technique is for you. This is also great for girls who are always on the go or girls who would rather get a few more minutes of precious sleep than do their makeup in the morning.
1. Exfoliate your lips. You can use a toothbrush and some warm water to gently scrub your lips free of dead skin cells. Alternately, you can use a lip scrub! Lip scrubs are great because they don’t only exfoliate, they also moisturize. We recommend Tony Moly’s Kiss Kiss Lip Scrub. (link: https://www.peachandlily.com/products/kiss-kiss-lip-scrub)
2. Take your favorite lipstick and apply a thin layer of color on the center of your lips. For a full Korean look, use colors that are light and vibrant such as pink, coral, berry red, or even orange! We recommend Holika Holika’s Honeydrop Lip Tint Stick for its wonderful collection of colors! (link: https://www.peachandlily.com/products/honeydrop-lip-tint-stick)
3. Using a lip brush – or your finger if you don’t own one – gently spread out the lip color towards the outer ends of your lips. Top it off with your favorite lip balm to give it a nice, glossy finish.
TECHNIQUE NO. 2: Concealer on Lipstick
Difficulty Level: Moderate
This technique is best suited for those who have a little bit more experience in applying makeup as it involves a few more products. If you are, however, leaning on the daring side and would like to try something new, try this technique too!
1. Apply a thin layer of concealer on your lips to make your lips match your own skin tone. The concealer might be a bit drying on your lips so remember to exfoliate and dab a small amount of balm as well.
2. Next, apply a small amount of lipstick along the inner area of your lips. For a more precise application, use a lip brush.
3. Smudge the lipstick and spread it towards the outer parts of your lips. Apply a bit more lipstick on the inner area if you feel you’ve lost the gradient effect.
4. For a more dramatic effect, apply a thin coat of lip tint on your inner lips. You can either use the same color or go a shade darker.
5. Lastly, apply some lip balm on the outer area of your lips. This will make your lips more natural looking as well.
TECHNIQUE NO. 3: Lipstick on lipstick
Difficulty Level: Difficult
If you’re looking for a bolder look for your nighttime makeup, this technique is the best one for you. It might involve some trial and error on your part but be patient because the result has an amazing effect that will surely have everyone captivated!
1. Once again, scrub and exfoliate your lips using your favorite lip exfoliator. Dab a bit of balm for added moisture.
2. Choose two lipsticks that are at least a shade or two away from each other. For easier application, we recommend you use liquid lipsticks with a matte finish.
3. Apply the lighter of the two lipstick on your entire lip area. Wait for it to settle and dry a bit.
4. Apply a small amount of the dark lipstick on your inner lip area. Gently blend with your finger. You may have to work fast, depending on how fast your liquid lipstick dries.
And there you have it! These are the three techniques that will help you achieve the Korean lip gradient style. Why don’t you try it on for yourself and see which one of the looks suit you best? Remember, have fun and don’t forget to pose for a photograph!